We are edging ever closer to Back To School and we were asked our thoughts on the mifold Grab-and-Go Child Restraint. mifold is the most advanced and compact, portable car seat ever invented. If you ever help out friends or family with the school run regularly or occasionally but don’t have enough car seats or don’t want to shell out a fortune on a big one only to use it now and again then this is the product for you!
The first thing you will notice about the mifold is how small the box is that it comes in, you will wonder to yourself how on earth they manage to pack something that’s 10 x smaller than a regular carseat – but just as safe- into it! It’s small enough to be left in the glovebox for those times when you need it in a hurry!
This is what you’ll find when the lid is opened. Amazingly tiny isn’t it?
mifold is the Grab-and-Go child restraint that keeps school children safe, no matter whose car they are travelling in. It’s the one piece of kit parents need this September. Here’s why*:
* 38 per cent of parents believe other people have broken the law when driving their child, with nearly half (47 per cent) pointing the finger at their friends.
* One in three parents (36 per cent) have given someone else’s child a lift without using a suitable car seat.
* 43 per cent of parents believe grandparents have flouted the law when transporting their grandchildren.
* A third of parents (33 per cent) have not had enough room in their vehicle for a third child seat when they needed one.
* Over a third (35 per cent) of parents have broken the law by only using the car seat belt to strap in their child before they were 12 years of age or more than 135 centimetres tall.
* Nearly one in three parents have used a car seat designed for an older child or used a car seat belt instead of a suitable child restraint (33 per cent and 32 per cent respectively).
* Nearly a quarter of parents (22 per cent) have allowed a child to travel unsecured or unprotected because the child kicked up a fuss.
Once out of the box you can see the shoulder belt thats attached to the mifold unit.
The release buttons on either side of the bottom of the mifold slide to release the lap belt guides.
The lap belt guides have 3 positions dependant on the size of the child using it. The hard outer case keeps the mifold seat clean and protects it.
The unit opens right out to reveal the mifold seat. Made from Densefoam™ and FrictonFabric™ the seat is comfortable, prevents slipping, stays cool and is easy clean.
The mifold comes with an instruction booklet and well as handy guidelines attached to the shoulder strap to make fitting quick and easy.
The shoulder strap guide clips open and closed (reminds me of the clips you use to keep freezer items closed so nice and easy).
To access the shoulder belt guide strap the buckle can be pulled down to open and the strap can then be shortened or lengthened to suit your child. mifold harnesses the seat belt around the child in three places – instead of lifting the child up to reach the seatbelt. 3 belt guides accurately hold the seatbelt down on the shoulder and hip bone, offering the correct amount of restraint in the event of impact.
As you can see my 9 year old looks really happy and comfortable sat in his mifold.
The great thing about it is if you have arranged for someone else to pick your child up from school, such as grandparents, they can just pop the mifold into their school bag and take it to school with them as it’s so small and light it takes up barely any room.
- Available from boots.com, John Lewis, Amazon.co.uk and other selected retailers for £39.95.
- Visit http://www.askformifold.com for more information or @mifoldUK on Facebook.
- Group 2/3
- Suitable for ages 4-12
- Weight 15-36kgs
- Height up to 135cms
- Measuring only 23 x 10.5 x 4.5cm (LxWxH)
- Approved to ECE R44.04
- Available in 6 different colours
- 3 can be used at the same time as long as your car has 3 full seatbelts in the back seat
Overall we though the mifold was genius, it’s so lightweight you can take it anywhere – even carry it in your handbag if you need to! It’s easy to install and use and just the job for giving your or someones else’s child a lift.
*We were gifted the item for the purpose of this review however all opinions remain honest and my own*